I recently presented a session at the Atlanta SPUG entitled “A Business User’s Guide to Migrating to SharePoint Online”. There were some great conversations in the group about the process of migrating to SharePoint Online.
Many organizations don’t realize that there are some key steps in SharePoint migrations that can help make for a better migration.
Key points discussed were:
- Get the business users involved. Work with the business users to revisit requirements. This can help you better understand what is working well for the business and what should change in the new environment to be more beneficial for your business users.
- Pre-clean Up. Disregard irrelevant content and clean up outdated data.
- This can help lower migration costs and mitigate potential migration risks.
- Cleaning up old data can also help with compliance and records management issues.
- If you need to keep old data, you can always migrate the old content to an archive environment.
- Take inventory of the content you plan on migrating. This will help minimize errors and help prevent unwelcome surprises.
Here is the link to download the presentation: Business User’s Guide Migration Slides